Lagan's Cycle Challenge

The 11th January is Lagan's birthday but we didn't get to see her first birthday. Lets ensure we continue to offer other families the support we never received!

Annual Cycle Challenge

Every April

Lagan's Cycle Challenge
Rivington, Bolton

British Cycling Grade 2 - Challenging

Feedback and testimonials

Posted by Carren on
I just wanted to say thanks for a fantastic sportive yesterday - friendly, well organised, a great route and thoroughly enjoyed the morning.
And the sun shone for Lagan, as I'm sure it always will.
Best wishes for your charity work and hope to see you again next year (if my legs have recovered by then!).

Kind regards,
Martin
Posted by Carren on
It was good to meet you and your team yesterday and many thanks for putting on such a well organised cycle challenge, I very much enjoyed it.
I will definitely enter again next year and pass the word around to other friends.

Best Regards,

Rider No. 8
Graham Balshaw
Posted by Carren on
An amazing day and whilst Hollie & I retired, our main team member did make it home in 3hrs 43 It was tough. I had no illusions on that, more training = better prepared and we will be for next year! However I'm a mum to a complex CHD baby with feeding difficulties and chronic lung disease and I relived the last 17 years today!....for every bit you cruise there's always a bloody hill at the next turn Well done to everyone who took part. Your support makes a massive difference to those families that Lagan's Foundation is able to support

Sharon Hunt and Hollie
Posted by Carren on
Great event today - we did this last year as well and really enjoyed it - fantastic route!

James Eccleshare and Luke Harrison and Phil Armstrong
Posted by Carren on
I must be bonkers to consider doing this again, if you'd asked me when I was stuck at the bottom of Foxholes with cramp yesterday, the answer would have been NO! I wasn't even convinced I was going to be able to push my bike up the hill let alone finish the course. Anyway I managed to complete the course and after a sleep I can now say I did enjoy the experience. Now I know what the route involves I can be a bit better prepared for the hills next year. Thanks to all who organised and marshalled the event and also my fellow riders who offered help and encouragement all the way round. See you all next year.
Jeff Glaister
Posted by GRAHAM DOHERTY on
RIDER 26 It was my first time at doing this event I really enjoyed it so much it was so hard I was so close to giving up at the 30 miles mark I screamed so much In pain but I don't know how I carried on even tho I was at the bottom with timings 5 hours 57 mins I was so happy I managed to finish it it was a challenge not a race and I competed it my body was so exhausted from it I was sick cos of coughing so much lol it was well signed posted and ad do it all over again really proud of everyone one who took part and all the workers who made this day fantastic
Posted by Michael Wilkinson on
As running is my bag, but have dipped into cycling and triathlons, I have done many many races and challenges over the years! This was a challenge more than a race to me! Many challenging hills including Sheephouse (from both directions) Anglezarke, and the beast of them all Foxhole's which you hit just before 30 miles and wipes even the best out! The organisation was superb, what I loved was every mile there was signage telling you to go straight on which was a great reassurance as didn't know 50% of the route! The stewards were very encouraging and are at every major turn! The whole day was fantastic and every cyclist I spoke to along the way agreed and even cyclists that weren't part of the event I spoke to was really interested in taking part next year and gutted they didn't know about this one! This is a event for all! For the seasonal cyclist this is a tough tough route, not your average 42 miler! And for the novice like my self with some training (1st Feb was first proper bike ride for 6 months and just got out once per week, increasing milage and hills) it is very doable and a great achievement! I am very proud of 13th over the line and finishing in 3h 07m! Get on 2017 challenge it's a fantastic event!
Posted by Anthony Jones on
Superb event for a special charity. So well organised and marshalled. People pushing you on at each point.
I have done a few charity rides and none are as challenging, friendly and well ran as Lagans.
Will definitely be there again in 2017.
Posted by Rachael Johnson on
I'll definitely be entering the 2017 ride. This years event was well organised. The route was well signed in fact I'd say it was the best signed cycling event that I've been on. The course was challenging with some meaty climbs which is my favourite kind of cycling. I may not have been the fastest rider but I made it up every hill even Foxholes. Fantastic event not to be missed
Posted by Kelvin Hibbard on
I had a fantastic day. Very well organised and great attention to detail (signage and marshalling). A very nice introduction to cycling events for me and hope to be back next year (with a proper road bike!). A real pleasure to support such a great Charity.
Posted by Andy Littler on
I got roped into the 2015 event and struggled round in 3:49 with a massive shock to my system. This year I trained for it a bit more and covered several of the main hills beforehand and was rewarded with a much improved 3:18. After initially saying to myself 'never again' my devious mind and beedy eyes are now pondering a sub 3 hour 2017. I just won't inform my legs about this until race day.
Andy (145)
Posted by Mark Fraser on
Hi

Thanks for a great ride - well organised and suitably challenging for a part timer like me.I love the ride and can recommend it to anyone who is thinking of giving it a go.

Hope to be involved next year if I can make it!
Posted by Pete Arrowsmith on
Great ride.
It will be nice to see Carrens arse on it next year
X
Posted by Carren on
If you sponsor me Pete I will have a go :)
X
Posted by Brendan Dawson on
A big thank you to all involved. Its the first time ive entered an event and felt really looked after due to the effort and support put in by the organisers and team.
Really good (very challenging) route and worth every ounce of pain to try and help make a difference to those who need our support.
Thank you to you all!
Posted by Andrew cheetham on
Rider 84 this was the first time for me and my two friends doing this event and we are so glad we did, it is well organised and the ride its self is very challenging and you do have to grit your teeth on some of the hill climbs it was nice to finish the ride with a massage to help ease the tired legs i was very happy with my time of 2 hours 47 minute for my first attempt and also raised £200 in sponsorship all going to this great charity.
See you again next year
Posted by Dave Hallett on
Really good day out hahaha. Well organised and supported, impressed with my performance having originally aimed for a 3hr ride I was at 3:23 but could have done it if I'd have pulled my finger out ! I've ridden some tough events in my time racing but the climbs were very challenging, to put it in suitable language. Well done to all those who took part and yes, I'm trying to persuade my body to do it again....more training more pain more speed. Carren get on the bike and give it a go.
Posted by Alan hughes on
I do about 5 Sportive a year, mostly through organised rides attached to long standing cycling clubs. I can honestly say that the organisation on this ride is the best of all of them. Done it twice now and I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone......just make sure you do plenty of training on hills! See you next year.
Posted by Gareth Balshaw on
Winner of the 2016 Cycle Challenge (2hrs 13mins)
At the briefing we were all told how difficult this route was but to remember (when in pain climbing those hills) all the young children in the world that suffer when simply eating. This stuck in my head for the full ride which really helped me push through to give a new record for this cycle challenge, beating my fathers time from 2015 of 2 hrs 30 mins. I will take part again in 2017 and hope to break the 2 hr mark! I would like to thank everyone involved on the day and hope to see you next year :-)
All the best regards Gareth.
Posted by Carren on
Wow Gareth thanks for your feedback its amazing. Sub 2 hours ekkkk best find even more marshals to beat u to their positions lol .. I only just got in to mine as u wizzed past. Thanks again. Maybe next year we will have a father son battle :)